The Benefits of Having a Preventive Maintenance Plan For Your RoofOctober 8, 2018
Need A Roofing Company in Sebastian, Florida?October 17, 2018
If you’re trying to figure out how to get rid of squirrels, this helpful guide from Vero Beach’s My Florida Roofing Contractor should give you a place to start. While squirrels might seem like harmless, cute animals, they can wreak havoc on your home and cost you tons of money in damages.Our expert roofing contractors Vero Beach FL locals trust are here to help you determine if you have a squirrel problem and give you tips for fixing that invasive issue.
How to Tell If You have A Squirrel Infestation:
- You hear scratching or scurrying noises: Squirrels tend to make nests in attics, so you’re likely to hear scratching, scurrying, chewing, or scampering noises coming from your attic or chimney— especially during rainy seasons and winter months.
- You find squirrel footprints or tracks around your home: In the winter snow or rainy mud, you might discover small pawprints (with 4 toes in front and 5 toes in back) and suspect a squirrel has been passing through. To be sure you have a regular pest, you can place cardboard and flour near a problem area and wait to see if pawprints appear by morning.
- You find damage around your roof, attic, or home: While most damage is done behind walls, in attics, and under roofs where it’s hard to see, you can check a few key areas for squirrel damage. If you notice teeth marks on wires, walls, siding and vents, garden plants, bird feeders, outdoor furniture and wood, it can be a sign that you have a bigger problem. Squirrels can damage your shingles, chew holes in your roof panels, and cause roofline issues that lead to leaks and costly fixes.
- You discover squirrel droppings in your attic, garage, or on your roof: Since wildlife excrement can carry all forms of bacteria and diseases, avoid contact with suspected droppings and call your local animal control hotline to identify your visitor. Most excrement is found near access points to your home such as your garage, attic, or near damaged sections of your roof.
- You notice an awful smell coming from your attic: Squirrel droppings and their urine can collect around your attic and give off a putrid odor over time as their nests also adopt a musty, stale scent; though, that’s nothing compared to what happens if a squirrel finds themselves trapped in a crawlspace and can’t escape. Eventually an expert is required to remove their decay and unpleasant aroma.
How To Get Rid Of Squirrels:
Since squirrels are very territorial and may work together to build nests, it might be better to let animal control or roofing contractors Vero Beach FL residents turn to handle them, but there are a few options if you’re determined to be free of your pests today.
- Remove any food they’re after— like bird seed— since they’re attracted to an easy meal.
- Use gutter guards or covering downspouts to reduce the squirrel population entering your roof and attic.
- Catch the troublesome squirrels using live traps and then seal off their entry point, but pay attention to local regulations for squirrel trapping in your area.
Contact Us Today!
If you’re still unsure of how to get rid of squirrels, our Vero Beach My Florida Roofing Contractor can assist you soon. Our licensed and insured professionals have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating and guarantee quality service at affordable prices. Contact our roofing contractors Vero Beach FL residents reocmmend for your inspection and repair service today.